Medical Doctors, Science, and The Mind Body Connection
Your mood and brain-power are not all in your head.
- Calm Mind
The Calm Mind
Goal: 20 minutes, 2x a day. To start: 10 minutes, 1x a day.
- Tryout one these Top Five Meditation Apps
- When you feel jazzed up and can’t get out of your head: Inhale for four seconds, hold four seconds, exhale four seconds. Do for four minutes. You’ll cause your body’s vagus nerve to signal your brain to relax and think more productively.
- Whenever possible, put your attention to your breath. It’ll show you how often you’re too in your head. Plus, when you do put your attention to your breath, also try to slow your breath and breath more deeply.
Mind Body Connection. A Starter List.
So, what exactly do we do to heal our minds through our bodies’ health?
This is, by no means, an all inclusive list below. In fact, it leaves out the biggie: Nutritional eating. But, it is a starter, to tickle your curiosity:
- Again, meditate.
- Less Coffee. More green teas. Green tea is a brain relaxant that also helps you feel alert.
- Less or no alcohol. More fermented drinks.
- Walk / Exercise Daily. If not, try for at least three times weekly. Google interval training for suggestions.
- Sleep at least seven hours nightly
- Get into nature. Even five minutes daily.
- Supplements. While a general medical check-up needs to come before taking supplements, you may find the following being recommended to you:
- Daily Mulit-Vitamin
- Fish Oil
- NAC (n-acetylcysteine) 500 mg/daily
Probiotics for Mind Body Connection
- Kimchi — which is a spicy Korean-style sauerkraut
- Fermented tea known as kombucha
- Miso dressings / miso soups
- Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. One teaspoon mixed with water, and honey for sweetening.
Mood Boosting Foods
On a roll? If you’re into revamping what’s in your frig and pantry, cut out processed foods and gluten. They drag your mood down. On the other hand, here are foods that may boost our moods via serotonin:
- Olive oil
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Soybean products